About the Homeless Breakfast Hub
Every Wednesday a dedicated crew of volunteers provides a healthy breakfast for Byron's homeless community. The breakfast service is held between 7:30am - 9am from the Fletcher Street Room here at the Byron Community Centre.
The Homeless Breakfast Hub is part of the BCC’s community projects. As such, its main purpose is to provide a wholesome and nutrient-rich breakfast to locals in need. Healthy breakfast items include a delicious variety of fresh fruit and vegetables, fibre-rich mueslis, cereals and porridge, vitamin supplements, as well as stir-fries, eggs, sausages and bacon.
In addition to that, it offers a variety of services clients are encouraged to use. Services include Legal Aid, medical assistance provided by a licensed nurse, Byron Hospital Needle exchange, youth and family workers, clothes donations and sign-up for the Byron Community Showers.
Our BCC Homeless Breakfast Hub looks back on 15 years of providing healthy breakfasts to locals in need and offering essential services to vulnerable community members.
- 2004: The Homeless Breakfast serves its first breakfast. Gwen Gould starts the Homeless Breakfast as part of the Byron Community Centre’s community service. The Salvation Army and Bryon Bay Farmer’s Market are early supporters.
- 2010: Brian Neal and David Myers join the team and are an integral part ever since.
- 2018: Gwen hands over the reins after 14 years of service. Colleen Arnott steps in as new coordinator
- 2019: The Centre for Volunteering recognises Homeless Breakfast Hub and the valuable service it delivers every week.
Today, the Homeless Breakfast Hub is one of the longest-standing community support projects in Byron Bay. The service is run entirely by volunteers who dedicate their time and skills to this wonderful service every week. If you would like to volunteer, please apply online through the BCC Volunteer Hub. The Homeless Breakfast Hub relies on donations to keep the service running and is grateful to receive generous support from local businesses including:
- Woolworth Byron Bay supports the Homeless Breakfast Hub with a $25 voucher every week.
- Byron Village Bakery donates bread every week.
- Byron Bay Hospital donates food in the first three weeks of every month.
Please support our weekly breakfast service by making a donation today. Simply click the 'Donate Now' button below. Your kind donation will help the team to buy fresh breakfast items like fruit and vegetables as well as general supplies necessary for food preparation like paper towels, tea towels, etc.