WHAT IS HEA? The Home Energy Action Appliance Program (HEA) is a one year initiative of the New South Wales Office of Environment and Heritage that aims to help low-income households improve their energy efficiency by reducing the upfront cost of efficient appliances.
The program offers NILS loan clients the opportunity to replace their existing inefficient fridge or TV with a new efficient appliance at a subsidised cost. 40% of the cost of a fridge will be subsidised and 50% of the cost of a TV will be subsidised. These appliances have been included in the program as they offer the greatest potential energy savings for households, and are also affordable and reliable.
Replacing an old inefficient fridge can save households between $80 and $200 on their annual electricity bill. Replacing a Plasma or CRT TV with an LCD can save households between $50 and $150 on their annual electricity bill.
WHAT IS NILS? The Byron Community No Interest Loan Scheme (NILS) is a community-based program providing people on low incomes safe, fair interest-free credit to buy essential goods and services.
Interest free loan amounts are between $500 – $1,000 for essential goods and services such as household appliances. Repayments are set up at an affordable amount over 12 – 18 months. There are no charges or fees.
AM I ELIGIBLE FOR HEA? To receive the HEA subsidy along with your NILS loan your household must:
- Live in the Byron Shire
- Have your NILS loan approved
- Not have accessed the HEA subsidy for the same type of item previously.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
1. Contact Byron Community NILS to check if you are eligible for NILS. If you are eligible, A NILS volunteer will provide you with an application form.
2. If eligible, Choose a product from the HEA Pricelist.
3. Submit your NILS Application to the Byron Community Centre’s NILS team and include your chosen product information in your application.
Ph: 0266 856 807 Em: firstname.lastname@example.org
Visit: Byron Community Centre 69 Jonson St Byron Bay.